Eco wrapping ideas for a greener Christmas
These eco wrapping ideas could help you reduce the amount of wrapping paper and other materials you buy, use and bin at Christmas.
1. Use recycled materials instead of wrapping paper
Use magazines, newspapers, books, paper packaging, plastic bags…anything you have to hand that you might usually throw out. You can find interesting patterns and colours in lots of these recycled papers, and think about using sheet music, maps or puzzle books for even more interesting patterns.
2. Make bows out of recycled materials
Instead of buying plastic bows to decorate gifts, try making your own. All you need are a few strips of recycled paper and a stapler or some glue :
1. Cut some long strips from your recycled paper
2. Take one strip and make a figure of eight shape as in the picture below. Staple or glue together.
3. Do the same for 2 other strips.
4. Staple or glue the three figures of eight together to make a star shape.
5. Cut 3 more strips to a slightly shorter length.
6. Make smaller figures of eight with these 3 shorter strips.
7. Attach these three figures of eight together in the same way.
8. Fix an even smaller strip of paper into a simple loop.
9. Glue or staple the 3 layers together. The biggest at the bottom, with the smaller one inside it, and the small loop in the very centre.
That’s all there is to it, just glue the bow to your gift !
3. Recycle paper shopping bags as gift bags
Upcycle paper shopping bags into gift bags by decorating them with stamps, washi tape, coloured pens or glitter !
4. Make your own gift bags
You can even make your own gift bags using recycled paper. Download the instruction sheet here to learn how.
5. Make recycled paper to use for wrapping or tags
You can make your own paper out of scrap paper or cardboard. I describe how to do it in this paper making tutorial. Use dies, leaves, pressed flowers, glitter, confetti and more to create decorative paper which you can use to wrap presents or to make gift tags, bags cards or bows.
6. Get creative !
These are just a few ideas to get you started. If you use your imagination you can recycle all sorts of everyday materials into beautiful and original gift wrapping. For example, I have a tiny gift to give, and made this miniature gift box by hollowing out a wine cork!
What are your best eco gift wrapping ideas ? Let me know in the comments below.